International students can generally get a part-time job during
term-time or a vacation job
Pile of Money
without obtaining a work permit, though it’s a good idea to
talk to the international office before finding work.

The UK has a national minimum wage (which also applies to ‘commission
only’ jobs).  Find out what the current level of the minimum
wage is from your student welfare office (from October 2005, workers
aged 22 and over must be paid £5.05 per hour).

A leaflet prepared by the Department for Education and Skills (2001 – 2007)
called, ‘International Students working in the UK’ outlines some of the basic
information you may need to know, such as how to get a National
Insurance Number.  (I am looking for an updated equivalent to this document.  In the meantime, take a look at the
British Council’s Education UK website)

Looking for a job

There are many places you can look if you are trying to find a
job.  Some of these are:

Job Centres: these have advertisements of jobs
available locally.  You can also search a national database of jobs
advertised in job centres on their

Job AdvertisementLocal
these often have a few pages of local jobs

Noticeboards: these often display advertisements
– look for them in your college/university, local supermarkets
and shops and local libraries.

Agencies: employment agencies are companies that
specialise in finding jobs for people.  Find out how much they charge
(eg how much of your income they keep) before you register your
name and details with them.  It is usually worth registering with
a few agencies at the same time.

Your university: some work may be available within
the university – ask in your student union, library etc.

Images: www.freeimages.co.uk